Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Putting Up Our Chirstmas Tree

Last night, was the first annual Setting-Up-the-Christmas-Tree-Party. 

Kevin had a ball!  Literally. He walked around saying "bah, bah, bah," which is his word for ball.  He had been pulling the ornaments out of their case the whole week, so he was getting quite good at that.  However, as we were cleaning up, I put the ornaments back where they belonged and Kevin began to help me!  It's the first time he's really understood helping me clean up.

Unfortunately, this presented another problem.  While Grig, Havelock, and I were trying to put the hooks on the ornaments, Kevin kept trying to put them away.  It was very funny and a lot of fun!

The tree we have is a fake Christmas tree.  It was a good deal at Walmart, and it came with lights already attached.  So, all we had to do was put it together, hang the ornaments, put on the star, wrap the tinsel (garland) around it, and we were good to go! 

We enjoyed working on it together and Kevin was so excited!  He was running around the room with his tongue sticking out.  I don't know why, but that seemed to accentuate how he felt.

We finished up the night eating home-made macaroni and cheese from a recipe that Grig's mother had sent us (delicious!) and then we went to bed.

I've always loved the Christmas season.  It is one of my favorite times of the year.  There's nothing like the excitement that I feel as Christmas approaches.  It has always made me want to be a better person, and I love buying gifts for people and doing service for others.

Some people think that Christmas has become too commercialized, but I don't think it matters.  If your home keeps the spirit of Christ in it, then it doesn't really matter what the rest of the world is doing.  If your home makes Christmas about family, service, love, and the Savior, then the rest of the world can make commercials until their heads pop.  It won't affect Christmas in your home and your children will grow to understand the importance of the Savior.



That's what I think anyway.

I'm so excited for Christmas.

We rigged the dog kennel and the rocking chair around the tree so that when we put presents there, Kevin won't be able to reach them until he is supposed to.  It seems to be fairly effective so far, hopefully it can keep our son away.  He's quite intelligent and loves new challenges.  It is difficult staying one step ahead of our boy, but that's one of the reasons we love him.

How have you kept your Christmas tree safe from children?

No comments:

Post a Comment