Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Which Came First: The Asthma or the Cold?

Yesterday morning, I woke up with a sore throat and it felt like I was having a hard time breathing. I figured it was just an asthmatic reaction because we left the window open all night. I figured it would go away as I went throughout the day.

However, instead of improving, it kept getting worse. I took my inhaler a couple of times, and though that helped me breath better, it didn't fix my cough. As the day progressed, my voice dropped a couple of octaves and I began to get a headache from all the coughing.

Last night, I had been planning on going to play soccer, but around 8:00 p.m., I began to feel feverish. I coughed all night long.

At some point during the night, I awoke to find the room much darker than normal. I asked Grig what time it was, and he realized that the power had turned off. He went and got his cell phone so that he would still have an alarm for work (it turned out it was about 11:30 p.m.), and we went back to sleep.

Or at least, I tried to. However, between my coughing and my mind trying to figure out the correct way to slice a watermelon, I was having a hard time going back to sleep. Then, when I did sleep, my dreams were chaotic, random images that exhausted me.

At 12:34 a.m., the power came back on, which was a relief. I don't like worrying about the things in the refrigerator.

Needless to say, when Grig got up this morning at 4:00 a.m., I was all too ready to get up with him. I might try going back to sleep in a few minutes, but at this point, I am feeling much better sitting up and breathing.

This all just made me wonder if my allergic reaction induced asthma caused my lungs to be weakened enough to catch this cold, or if the cold just perpetuated my asthma. As it is, I still am having trouble drawing deep breathes.

I think my fever has broken now, and I feel better. Sorry if this sounded whiny, it wasn't meant to be. I just try to keep you informed about my life.

Kevin slept really well last night. He woke up for a minute during the power outage, but after eating for a moment, he fell back asleep and we returned him to his bed. He spent most of the night in his own bed!

That was pretty exciting.

Oh, and if anyone knows the correct and easiest way to slice a watermelon, I'd love to hear it.