Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Forcing Myself to Go

For the last couple of weeks, I've been meaning to go play indoor soccer with the women in our congregation. Every Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m. they've been playing, and since I love soccer, I really wanted to go. However, there are a few problems with the timing.

The first problem is generally we go to bed at 8:00, or at least, that's the time we're supposed to go to bed. Grig isn't getting up quite as early anymore, but in order to get 8 hours of sleep we're supposed to be in bed by 8. That's the main problem. If I go, Grig has to watch Kevin, and usually that would entail staying up to do it.

The second problem was that last week we were sick. I was not doing well on Tuesday, so I chose not to go spreading lovely germs to everyone.

However, last night I didn't have an excuse. Yes, it was still after bedtime, but Grig had told me that he wanted me to go, and I REALLY wanted to go. However, I was also feeling lazy, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to go. It's hard when the time finally comes to push yourself to go do something, even if you do want to do it. It's easy to be like, "Oh, I'll just go next week." However, I had told the women I was going to come, so that was motivating for me. Luckily, Kevin fell asleep before I even left, so we felt like that was a huge success! We were hoping that Grig could go to sleep too and they would both still be sleeping when I returned home.

I took off a few minutes late, but it's pretty close to our apartment, so I made it in good time. It didn't take long for us to get set-up, and then we began to play.

This is an older picture (pre-marriage), but I thought it fit well.
I had a lot of fun! We played four on four and it was great exercise. I found out that I don't make a good forward (though I did score one point) because I used to play sweeper in high school. I'm used to hanging back and watching to prevent the ball from going into our space. It took some prodding, but I was managing to overcome those instincts by the end of the game.

I also discovered I probably talk way too much during the game itself. Hopefully the other women weren't annoyed.

Needless to say, I lost track of time. At 10:00 p.m., we called it a night. I checked my phone, and I didn't have any missed calls or texts from Grig, so I ran to Wal-mart quickly and bought a few things. I thought I was going to be able to go home, take a shower, and go to bed.

However, when I got home, I was greeted by a happy Kevin. He had woken up only about a 1/2 hour after I left. Grig had to stay up with him until 10, when Havelock came out and watched him until I returned home at 10:20. Grig still wasn't asleep when I came home and he had a headache. It was nice of Havelock to help out, but I felt bad.

We managed to get up okay this morning, but after showering and doing a few things, Kevin insisted that I go back to bed.

I don't regret going (though Grig might regret that I went). I almost didn't go, but sometimes it's really worth it to do so. I badly needed the exercise, and I had a lot of fun. Hopefully I can go again next week, but we'll have to see. We might need to figure something else out for Kevin so that Grig can get more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment