Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Gratitude Week: Fathers



Today, I want to express my gratitude for fathers.

Often in today's society, fathers are either completely absent in media, or they act like complete morons.  My father was neither.  He was a dedicated man who provided for his wife and children.  He tried to spend as much time as possible with us, and he is a respected man in the community.

I never wondered if my father loved me.  I knew it.  One of my favorite memories with my father is driving to a nearby town, just me and him.  Our alone time was precious to me, and I cherished our conversation together.

In discipline, he was firm, but loving.  He treated my mother like a priceless gift and wouldn't tolerate any disrespect toward her.  When they drive on car trips, they hold hands, and he often opens and closes doors for her.

He would make us laugh until we cried and he loved to watch movies with us.

Grig's father is equally wonderful.  I've only known him for a relatively short time, but he has worked hard his whole life to provide for his family.  He often travels to far distant countries to care for their cattle so his family can have enough money to live off of.  He loves his children, and constantly prays and worries for them.

He has taught his children a love and respect for nature, and how to be self-sufficient.

Both of our fathers dearly love their grandson, Kevin.  They look forward to his visiting and enjoy watching him on our (near) weekly skypes.  They take pride in his accomplishments, and love him as the special little boy he is.

Grig is also a dedicated husband and father.  He loves to spend time with me and Kevin.  He sometimes takes time off of work to do so (link to that blog here) and never regrets his actions.  It's important to him that Kevin and I know how much he loves us.  He works currently 66+ hours a week to provide for us, and wants to be the best person he can be.

At night, the three of us play in the bed and he makes Kevin laugh so hard he gets hiccups.  Grig always tries to do the right thing, and he is a dedicated and loyal husband.  I trust him and love him with all of my heart in the knowledge that he would never do anything to hurt me.

He holds open doors for me, looks for ways to make my life easier, and carries heavy things so I don't have to (which has taken some getting used to, because I am highly independent).  He treats me like royalty.  He protects me, which also has taken some getting used to.  He is a true man in every sense of the word, and he has helped me discover my own sense of womanhood.

Kevin loves his father and is always thrilled when he comes home.

Fathers are necessary in our society.  Not just fathers in name, but also in action.  One lady made a really profound comment on Sunday, which I wanted to repeat.

She said: Children need fathers.  If that need is not fulfilled in a healthy way, they will find a way to fulfill it which may not be as healthy.  They may find other young people who are not the best examples to take the place of a real father.

It's true.  Fathers are not optional.  Children need to learn the things that only fathers can teach them.  Some people don't have the opportunity to have fathers in their homes through no fault of their own. However, then the community can step in and help provide good male role-models for these children.  It's not quite the same, but it goes a long way.

I'm so grateful for fathers.  I'm grateful for my earthly father (and father-in-law) and for my Eternal Father.  Here is a beautiful video that I'd recommend you go watch about fathers.

On this Thanksgiving week, I want to express my thanks to fathers everywhere.  Maybe society doesn't respect you or thank you as you deserve, but your children and your grandchildren will be grateful for the sacrifices that you make for them.

Fathers, thank you.  I'm so grateful for you and all you do.

3 comments:

  1. Heart hurts a bit, reading this. Jealousy, probably :) I do love my Dad & miss him.Even when things are difficult Dads are still important. I love him for who he is. & Jeff's a great dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hurt your heart. I think even when life with our dads can be a little rough, we can still be grateful that they have a place in our lives. Many don't even have that.

      Delete