Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Danger of Carrying Too Much

Sunday morning, I went out to get our groceries from the night before.  It was non-perishable stuff, but we'd left it in the car overnight because we didn't have the energy to bring it up to the apartment Saturday after we returned from shopping.  So, while Grig was in the shower, I ran out to the car, and got the groceries.  I had bags on both hands and it was fairly heavy, but I'm strong so I wasn't too worried. 

http://azatty.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/plastic-bags.jpg

I walked across the snow (it had snowed that morning) and up the stairs.  I began to try and go faster.  I was making excellent progress up the stairs when I tripped on my skirt!

I fell forward and rapped my knee sharply against the edge of the stairs.  Pain shot through my leg, and I froze for a second.  Then, I got back up to my feet and went back inside.  I put the groceries away and went about my business for a while before I decided to take a look at my knee. 

It was fairly bruised. It was also swollen and protruding.  It was beautiful.  Or something.

Anyway, it hurt for a while.  Sunday, it was so sensitive that I couldn't even touch it.  Today it's doing much better. 

Sometimes I try to do way to much at one time.  I think I can take care of everything all by myself, that I don't need the help of others.  Marriage has been very good for me.  It's helped me to learn to depend on other people, and that they won't let me down. 

When I had my c-section, it was a little difficult because I'm used to walking things off.  I've been very healthy most of my life, and if I was injured, it didn't slow me down for long. 

After the c-section, I could barely walk.  I had to depend on a lot of people to help me, and I still probably tried to do too much.  However, because so many people helped to carry me along (and the baby since I couldn't pick him up for a few days) I was able to make it through it.

It's hard to say no.  I like to help people, and I have a really hard time not helping if I think I can.  The problem is, if you always say yes, you end up eventually tripping and falling.  Be careful not to help others so much that you end up injuring yourself in the process. 

If you're piling other people's stresses on you, let them go.  Let them do as much as they can, do what you can, and then don't stress about it.  You've done what you can.  You don't need to carry all the groceries up the stairs.  It doesn't do us any good to serve if we can't walk afterward.

Sometimes it's okay to make more than one trip, or to ask others to help you.  They certainly won't think less of you for it, and they'll feel happy you gave them an opportunity to serve you.

Don't be like me
and end up with an injured knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment