Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Our Aloe Vera Plant

Just before Kevin was born, Grig decided to buy me a plant.  Due to the fact that we generally weren't very good at keeping plants alive, we decided to get a very sturdy one.  We decided on an Aloe Vera.

Our poor Aloe Vera came to us in a small pot. It was about 2 in. x 2 in. x 4 in. in volume.  It was big enough when we first bought it, but the plant continued to grow.  We kept saying that we were going to get a bigger pot, but we never did.  We would water it occasionally, and it continued to grow.  Eventually, the dirt in the small pot simply wasn't big enough for the poor plant.  When we looked inside of the pot, there was very little dirt left, but somehow, the plant continued to survive.


All the soil left on the plant when we transplanted it

Last week, we finally buckled down and went to a local thrift store.  We were able to find a much larger plant pot and then we went to Lowe's and bought potting soil.  It was one of the few places we could find it at this time of year. 

We took our poor little plant and removed it from the small confines where it had lived for over a year and transplanted it to a much bigger pot with fresh soil.  Almost immediately, the plant looked better.  

Now, almost a week later, here's the plant:
Much happier plant
What's the point of all this?

Sometimes I treat other people like I treated that Aloe Vera plant.  I am well aware that they are in distress, but I'm too busy or I don't know how to help.  Somehow they manage to survive, but it is not because of me. When we see someone in need and we have the capability to help, we need to do what we can. 

I've been trying to do better at that.  I think we acted soon enough to save the life of our plant.  May we do the same with our neighbors and friends.

Also, I really am bad at taking care of plants.  Dogs are much easier for some reason.

2 comments: