Thursday, July 24, 2014

Better Than a Stuffed Animal

I was telling Grig this story the other day, and he told me I should share it.

The other night, it was in the middle of the night. He was crying, and I was trying to figure out how to help him get back to sleep.

You have to understand, Kevin is stubborn.

Like, really stubborn.

I don't know where he gets it, but our son never seems to give up. Later in life I'm sure this will be an outstanding quality, but for now, it can be fairly aggravating.

Anyway, I was praying about it, and I decided I was just going to lay in his bed and pretend to ignore him. I climbed into his bed and put my arm over my face. At first, Kevin remained where he was, but gradually (still crying) he began to make his way closer to the bed. After about a half an hour, he climbed into it and finally allowed me to touch him. I began to rub his shoulders gently and he slowly began to relax and stopped crying.

However, I found that he was no longer empty-handed. In his arms he was cradling a plastic diaper wipe box.
I knew that couldn't be very comfortable, but I also knew that if I tried to take it from him, it would rekindle the screaming. I allowed him to hold it, until I thought he was asleep.

Then, I gently extracted the plastic container from his arms and put it on the floor. He promptly flopped over so his arm was hanging over the bed and his hand was resting on top of it. Worried that he would fall out of the bed, I decided I might as well put it back on the bed.

As soon as I did, he rolled back over and snuggled with it.

Who knows why we bought him any stuffed animals. We could have just gotten a diaper wipe container for him to sleep with. It's a different story every night. He just likes to be holding something, and it can't be the same thing two nights in a row.

Even at three in the morning, I found him snuggling with the plastic container rather adorable.

I probably won't blog tomorrow. We have a reunion starting tonight, but I might be able to post a video Saturday night. We'll see.

I'm excited to go camping. We haven't done that in a while. Our new bird neighbors are doing well. The male is getting less scared of us all the time. I hope they're still here when we come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment