Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Late Night and Freezing Rivers

Grig doesn't have work this week (which isn't so good), but we decided not to sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. So yesterday, we spent some time swimming in the cold Utah rivers.

Kevin didn't especially like the freezing water, but he would wade in it up to his knees.

It took a little while to get used to the temperature, but by the end I didn't want to get out of the water. Grig started getting cold, and so I finally climbed onto shore. I found, to my surprise, that my hands were numb with this cold.

Another strange side-effect was that it took me forever to get warm again. Usually the interior of our apartment makes me sweat, but last night I was freezing for the longest time.

Yesterday was also a day of landmarks.

Grig got Kevin to go to sleep last night, which has almost never happened before. It happened briefly on Sunday night. Kevin fell asleep on Grig's head while we were out walking on a trail along the river. Grig really liked that. Last night, he held and rocked Kevin until Kevin drifted off to sleep.

A few hours later, Kevin woke up and I decided that I didn't want to nurse him back to sleep. So, we did battle for about 2 1/2- 3 hours. It was a good night for it. I was full of patience. I didn't force him to lay down, I just laid next to him on his bed and kept him from leaving it. If he would let me, I would hug and kiss him and snuggle with him, but he didn't want me to touch him very often.

Finally, about 3:30 a.m. he gave up the fight. He settled on top of me and fell asleep. That was a nice moment. We're trying to teach him how to fall asleep on his own in his own room, and it has been quite the crazy last couple of weeks.


We're making progress and it's been nice to mostly have our bed back to ourselves.

Grig's going to try and put Kevin to bed again today. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment