Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Missing Appointments

Monday, we'd had a pretty busy day. Mid-way through the day, a friend of mine called. She was wondering if I could baby-sit her daughter all day on Tuesday while she went to a job training, and I was only too happy to help out. Her daughter is a sweet little girl, and Kevin loves having her over.

When she asked, I felt like maybe I should check my planner, but I ignored the thought. I was fairly certain I didn't have anything on Tuesday, and I didn't think I needed to check.

That night, after Grig and I were finally sitting down to relax, I suddenly realized with horror that I had forgotten all about my dentist appointment that day! It was too late to call the office, but I resolved to do so first thing in the morning. As I stewed and stressed over the missed appointment, I couldn't help but think that if I had just checked my planner like I thought about doing, I would have been reminded about it.

Luckily, the office wasn't upset, and they rescheduled with me. I was very grateful that they did so. If seems like they won't even charge us a fee, which would be a huge blessing.

I hate missing things. I hated sleeping through classes in college, and I hate forgetting about things that I tell people I'm going to do.

Yesterday's babysitting went really well. Kevin had a great time. He's a sweet little guy. They took alternating naps, which meant I never got any alone time, which was a little difficult for me, but we still had a good time and we got a lot done.

Last night, after Kevin fell asleep, I went and played soccer again. It is a lot of fun, and the girls there are super nice. There was one funny moment when a younger woman came in, and an older sister said, "You're probably too young to play. You have to be at least 31."

I said, "What?"

Someone else quickly corrected her. She had thought that it was for 31+ year olds. Luckily it was for women 18 and up or I would have had to leave. It turns out that most of the ladies there are older than 31 though. They don't seem like it.

Not that 31 is that old.

Today, I'm doing something kind of scary.

Sunday, when I was asking a woman in her ward if she needed a ride to church, she told me she couldn't go because her ex-husband died. I expressed my sympathies and asked if there was anything she needed.

She said, "Do you know anyone who plays piano? We need someone to play the prelude and postlude music."

I have a principle that says that if I offer to help, I have to be willing to actually help. So, I admitted that I play piano. She then informed me that her ex-husband wasn't overly religious, but he was patriotic, so patriotic music would be fine.

I've never really played piano for a funeral. I hope I don't ruin it. My grandma loaned me some patriotic sheet music, and hopefully I can do okay.

This week has been kind of crazy, but it's just going to get crazier. Wish me good luck!
This picture has nothing to do with the blog post, but I just love it.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck :) I think being willing to help like that is a great blessing to others. Of course we should check and make sure we are taking care of ourselves too, but I am certain your friend was very grateful you could step in and help. And that she trusts you enough to ask....that is even bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find people that you trust with your children. I really should take that as a compliment. Thanks!

      Delete