Friday, May 9, 2014

Funerals, Soccer, and Travel



On Wednesday, I played prelude and postlude for a funeral. I was pretty worried about it, but it went really well. I was pleased that I didn’t seem to ruin the spirit of the event, and the family was appreciative. I found out something interesting about myself though.

I didn’t know the individual who had passed away, but as his family and friends talked about him, I found myself crying in sympathy. I didn’t know that I do that. It is interesting to know that other people’s emotions can affect me in that way.

It’s pretty tough to lose a family member. That is one of my worst fears. I dread the time that someone I love will have to leave me, even though I know it’s only for a short time and that death is not the end. I guess I still need to work on my faith.

Yesterday, I played two soccer games. I have been to practices most Tuesdays for the last few weeks, but we had two games in a row, and then we drove three hours to visit family. The games were intense, and I had a great time. We lost both games, though we were ahead for most of the first one. The second one, I think we played better, but we still lost by 5. I had a good time, but Grig was a little upset by the different rules. He didn’t like the fact that you couldn’t kick it high, or the fact that you couldn’t enter the box around the goal. That’s probably what cost us the first game.

My favorite moment was when I was playing goalie, and I blocked around 10 goals in a row. It was an intense couple minutes, and I ended up pulling the tissue around my scar from my c-section, but it was awesome. I felt like a champ!

After the games ended, we got in the car, picked up the dog and our luggage, and took off. It was about 10:30 p.m. when we left, and we didn’t reach our destination until about 1:30 a.m.  Kevin and Dakota slept the whole way, Grig read to me, and I drove. As I was driving, I could feel my muscles stiffening up. That wasn't so much fun. By the time we got to my parents' home, my legs ached and I was tired.
Kevin and Dakota can sleep almost anywhere.
I usually drive on long trips because Grig likes to read to me in the car, and I like it when he does so. We've been reading C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy, and we finished the second book last night. It is quite good, if occasionally long-winded. 

Dakota (because it is finally warm enough) was asked to sleep outside last night. It rained, but she was just fine this morning. In fact, I caught her rolling in the grass when it warmed up a little more. I think she is enjoying being outside, despite the weather.

There may not be a video tomorrow, but I'll try to get one made for Monday. We're going to be relaxing over the weekend and enjoying our time with family.

Thank you for those of you who've responded to my post yesterday. I appreciate your thoughts. I'll give them careful consideration. 

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment