Friday, May 23, 2014

Game Fast

Occasionally, I have to put myself on game (or other entertainment) fasts, meaning that I don't watch/play them for a week.

Usually I decide to do this when I worry that my consumption is taking time away from more important things, like my family or other duties I have.

This week, I've been fasting all computer games, internet or otherwise. I've really enjoyed it actually. I've gotten more work done on animating and family history than I have in a month or so. Sometimes it is nice to just put away the entertainment and work on projects instead.

The other thing I love about fasting like this, is that I regain my sense of control over my life. If every time I turn on the computer I have to play a game, am I really in control?

Taking a break once in a while shows me that I control how much time I spend on something. I have a tendency toward addictive behavior occasionally (especially where entertainment is concerned), and fasting from things that I might be on the verge of getting addicted to puts a stop to any addictions that may be forming.

Why am I sharing this?

Well, if is works for me and helps me keep control of my life, it might work for someone else. If there is something in your life that you are thinking about all the time or spending a lot of time on and it's not family , maybe try to take a break from it for a week.

I have really noticed a difference this week in myself and Kevin. We've been playing more too, and I've been paying more attention to the little things he's doing.

That's not to say that normally I'm a terrible mother and I play games all day, but eliminating games completely does give me more time for my son.

And who wouldn't want to spend more time with this kid?
The one down-side is that now I don't feel like I get a break. Now, when I finish something, I think, "What should I do now?" and the answer is usually, "Oh, I should work on this project." So, I am getting a little stressed out because my mind feels like I'm working all the time.

So, will I continue the fast indefinitely? No.

Games and entertainment have their place as well. It's all about finding the right balance in your life. It's okay to occasionally play games as long as I limit the amount of time I spend on them and always puts Kevin's needs first.

The fast just helps me to regain control and reprioritize. I am very grateful that I practice these occasionally.

I think this is the same principal behind why our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) has a monthly food fast. Food is a good thing, but when we can control our desire and impulse for it, we become stronger and gain more self-control.

I feel stronger at the end of this week.

If you want to try this, feel free. It wasn't my idea originally. God thought it up first. If you think it will help you, please try it. There's nothing like knowing you are stronger than your impulses.

No comments:

Post a Comment