Wednesday, March 5, 2014

An Unusually Sappy Post

My husband and I had a really good talk last night.

I mean a really good talk.

I love our relationship. We don't argue. Now, that doesn't mean we don't disagree sometimes, but we've never gotten mad and yelled at each other. If one of us is irritated or annoyed we are always able to talk it out and figure out how to deal with our emotional issues. Usually we're not annoyed with each other either. Life sometimes can just be irritating and stressful. Luckily, we usually take turns being grumpy. Then the other person can be steadfast while one spouse has a meltdown, and afterwards it can be the other spouse's turn! It works out great.

Last night though, we were talking and there was this moment where we just stopped talking and looked at each other. The love in the room was a palpable thing.

I know, cheesy, right? Those of you who know me will think it strange that I'm even writing a blog like this. However, at that moment, I think I truly came to understand something that I hadn't before, and it's something that I want to share.

The love between a husband and wife is Godly.

The Spirit was present at that moment and we were both feeling it. I truly know that as we grow closer to our spouses, we grow closer to the Lord. I don't think I understood this clearly before last night. I've seen the triangle that I've shared before that shows that the closer you and your spouse get to the Lord you also grow closer to each other. However, I hadn't understood that this is the only option when the Lord is in your relationship. It is literally impossible to grow closer to each other without growing closer to the Lord or vice versa when you are trying your best to include him in your relationship.


Grig is my best friend. We can talk about anything...and we do. We talk about animals, about books, about comic book characters, about family, and about the gospel. We are regular, nerdy geeks that half-way through a conversation about Superman suddenly alter it into a gospel-related conversation about Christ and family.

We are trying our best, and I cannot express to you how much we have been blessed because of it. We make stupid mistakes all the time, but we are working together to repent and become more like our Savior.

I'm so grateful to have Grig and Kevin in my life. They bring me so much joy, and the journey, though occasionally difficult, is amazing!

There you have an unusually sappy post from Emma Tank.

Please leave me your thoughts and similar experiences (unless they're too personal to share).

No comments:

Post a Comment