Thursday, March 20, 2014

My First Dislike!

So, our youtube channel has been going for ten months. We haven't been able to make many of the videos that we planned on yet, but this week we reached a momentous milestone.

One of our videos got its first dislike.

This might seem like a sad thing, but it was on our most popular video The Nightmare Nose Sucker, or Why Babies Fear the Bulb Syringe. This particular video has gotten quite a few views, and it's one I'm particularly proud of.

Here it is in case you want to watch it. I'd forgotten how fat Kevin is in this video.


The reason I'm kind of excited about the dislike, is that it means that the video is reaching more people than just family and friends. Generally family and friends don't dislike your videos, so if someone pushed the dislike button, it's because they don't know you and they're judging the video on its own merit. It has almost 500 views, and it has 2 likes and 1 dislike.

I think it's like getting your first negative critique when you write a book or make a movie. Even though it could be upsetting, it's also a sign of recognition.

I had a previous youtube channel, and it had some pretty popular videos (they were mostly music videos I made while learning how to video edit) and I received dislikes and likes from that, so this is nothing new to me, but it marks a historical day for our family video channel.

Yay for the beginnings of success!

However, it got me thinking, what kind of person dislikes a video? I mean, unless it's a REALLY bad video? Even if I don't like a video, I never think about clicking the dislike button. I've never even clicked the dislike button. If I don't like something, I stop watching it and move on to something else.

Grig and I were talking about this last night, and he told me that he occasionally dislikes things if they are really bad.

It made me wonder why do other people dislike things.

Feel free to tell me, I'm curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment