Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Not Quite Tired Enough

This blog does not refer to Dakota, she's always tired enough.
Lately, we've had some interesting new adventures with Kevin.

He will walk up to me and tell me, in his own frank way, that he is tired and is ready for bed. Usually when this happens, as soon as I lay down with him he will go to sleep. Lately, that hasn't been the case.

Last night when Kevin did this, Grig and I went through the whole bedtime ritual. We brushed teeth together, read scriptures, said prayers, and Grig read him a story. Then we settled down for him to go to sleep. We laid there for a few minutes, and then he got up to play. Even though he was tired, he wasn't quite tired enough.

So, we decided to wear him out a bit more. We took him back out to the living room, and we waited for another 45 minutes. Next time we went back into the bedroom, he fell right asleep.

He's also been overly hungry. He'll be nursing and nursing, but it's like he just can't get enough milk. Which is fine, because then I'll take him out and feed him solid food, and suddenly he'll feel great. He's a growing boy and milk just isn't cutting it for him anymore. Which makes me kind of grateful, and also kind of sad. I guess at 15-months, he's probably ready for more.

Though he's been eating solid food for a long time, he's never shown much interest in eating a lot of it. Mostly, he just nibbles as everything we are eating and then wants to nurse. However, last night he ate an entire bowl of my special version of Rice-a-Roni* (all that was leftover). When he finished, he was definitely full. He barely asked to share the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I was eating for dinner. He actually has all four of his molars now. They are not fully out, but they have breached the surface and they are sharp! He now has the capacity to eat the things he prefers (meat).

The other funny thing that he's been doing lately is what I like to call syncronized sleeping with his father. If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say that, well, a picture is worth a thousand words:


They do this on their own. I just take advantage of it by taking pictures. Notice how the arms are even at the same angle, and the pointer finger of the right hand is slightly elevated above the rest.

I think it's pretty adorable.

Speaking of adorable, Kevin received a gift from his Aunt yesterday. She had made him some cross-stich refrigerator magnets. I was pretty impressed, but Kevin LOVED them. He especially liked the otter that she did without a pattern. Here is Kevin's reaction to the magnets:
I like to call this the face of happiness.

He's a pretty special kid! We sure like him.

*To make the special version of rice-a-roni, simply cook a family-size version beef flavored version, but when you add the water and seasoning, also add a can of black beans, 1-2 cups of corn, and 1/2 a lb of hamburger. Once it boils, lower the heat and cover until most of the water has been absorbed. Then, serve with ranch (I like to add it on top and stir it around) and eat on tortilla chips. It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment