Friday, October 18, 2013

When Two Pets Meet...Dog vs. Snake

Picture of our post-clipped dog.  To compare, go here.


Yesterday, I fed our snake.  His name is Oryx.  He is a blizzard morph corn snake.  He is getting bigger and has a beautiful white skin.  His eyes are red, but he isn't an albino.  Albinism is a random genetic mutation.  A blizzard morph is a consistent color variation.

Anyway, the nice thing about snakes is that you don't have to feed them more than once a week.  This was going to be the first time we fed the snake since we got the dog.  I was a little worried how she would react around him.  I don't know that she has been around snakes very much. 

I went into the snake cage to find Oryx.  At first, I didn't see him (he loves to burrow) and I had almost decided to just feed him in his cage.

Since we first got him, we have made a habit of never feeding him inside of his cage.  Instead, we take him out and feed him in a special box.  Our reasoning was that we didn't want him to associate food with his cage.  This is supposed to help prevent him from trying to bite us when we are removing him.  So far, it's been pretty effective.  We also use tongs instead of hands to give the mouse to him.  This way he doesn't associate food with hands either. 

However, yesterday I was tempted to fudge.  I was home alone with a dog and a baby, and I wasn't sure if they would leave the snake alone while he was eating.  Then, I noticed that the snake was in his paper towel tube.  Grig cut it along the bottom so we could easily get him out, and so I decided I would just pick up the whole tube and move it into the box.  Then I would feed him.  Brilliant idea, right?

I had the (thawed) mouse in tongs in one hand, and I was attempting to pick up the snake with the other.  Suddenly, the snake slithered out of the paper towel cardboard and fell on the floor, right in front of the dog!

Surprised, I hesitated, expecting the worst.  Visions of the dog rushing forward and attacking the snake flashed through my head as I hurriedly put the paper towel roll back in the cage and whirled around.  Luckily, all the dog did was tuck in her tail a bit and avoid looking at the snake.  It turns out she doesn't really like him.  I picked up the snake, which was also surprised by his fall, and put him in his feeding box.  I then gave him the mouse, which he seized with exuberance. He was hungry.

Once he had finished eating, I picked him up and let the dog look at him again, but she just avoided him.  That was good.  A much better outcome than I could have hoped.  At least I didn't have to worry about her eating him.  Maybe not friends, but a peaceful conclusion nonetheless.  I think the snake has more to worry about from Kevin.

Things are going quite well.  Expect a vlog tomorrow about our first week with a new dog!

4 comments:

  1. Our dog tries to keep people and even cats away from snakes. I'm glad there was no canine intervention at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's licked the snake a couple times, but that's it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey there! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 4!

    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Carry on the fantastic work!

    my blog post; windows 8 ()

    ReplyDelete