Wednesday, October 9, 2013

First Night with an New Indoor Dog!

Video of this will be included on the 10/19 vlog
 Some of you may remember a blog I wrote a few days ago called "Preparation for a Dog."  Well, it finally happened!  She arrived!

Last night, about 8:45 a.m., our dog arrived.  My parents were on their way to the Provo Missionary Training Center, so they dropped the dog off before they went to stay the night with my grandparents.

Our new dog's name is Dakota.  She was a bit matted and pretty dirty, but we were excited to see her.  Kevin especially was thrilled.  He followed her all around the house as she explored her new environment.  Every time she stopped, he would grab the mats on her back and stand next to her, just holding on, with a huge smile on his face. 

We talked to my family for a while, and then they left.  Grig was supposed to be in bed by 8, (he had to get up at 4) but he stayed up to help me bathe Dakota before we went to bed.  She was pretty dirty.  She's been an outdoor dog her whole life, so a bath was new and different for her.  She'd been washed with a hose before, but never in a tub. 

She did really well!  She stayed in the tub while Grig and I took turns washing and combing her.  We didn't get all the mats out, but we got her clean enough that we felt like we could go to sleep.

I took her out for one last bathroom break, and then we came in to go to bed.  She had a box in the corner of the room with pillows and a blanket that she had slept in on the way down, and I told her to lay in that.  We would see how well she did. 

Surprisingly, after examining the room a little longer in the dark, she went straight to her box and fell asleep.  She was the first one asleep.  After that, Grig followed.  Kevin, on the other hand, was a different story. 

I think he was excited about the dog being in the room because he would not stop growling!  He would suck in his breath in a really funny way, and then let out a really long, prolonged growl.  He did this over and over.  If I gave in and giggled, he would laugh and then keep growling.  It took him probably a half an hour to finally go to sleep. 

Eventually all three were sleeping, and I lay in the dark and listened to their chorus of breathing. 

"Are you happy?" my husband had asked me earlier as I fondled the dog's head.

At that moment, I felt a rush of utter contentment fill me.  Yes, I was happy.

Eventually I fell asleep. 

She was really well behaved all night, though about 3:00 a.m. she began to pace around the room.  Grig got up to see if she needed to go out, but all she really wanted was a drink.  Once she got that, she came back in and fell asleep.  I didn't.  I'm still too excited, I think.

After Grig left this morning for work, Dakota and I had a 2 hour brushing session.  Later, when Grig gets back, we are going to giver her a hair clip.  She seems to be settling pretty well.  I'm sure liking it.  I can't wait for Kevin to wake up.  He's going to be so excited to see that she's still here.

I am.

All clean!
Last night made me wax poetic.  Feel free to read.  You can mock if you want to.  

Night Breathing

The chorus of breathing around me seems
Much better than ever could I dream.
The different tones, the notes, the depth
Each one as different as the rest.
Though sleep eludes, my heart is full.
My thoughts are vibrant and I mull,
About the gift that I've received.
Dear Lord, I thank Thee, my prayers given heed.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got your friend back :) And you're a mom to two now. Two is better than one, or so the Bible says. I'm sure she's ecstatic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's really enjoying her retirement! She and Kevin certainly keep each other busy.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for you and your family. The poem is awesome and so real. You have opened up your home and your heart. You are a real inspiration to me. You make me want to be a more positive and loving person. Please continue to be you. You are so genuine and pure. I pray that this never changes. You have enriched my life through your honest and real blogs. Thank you so much. The world is a better place with you in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Your comments always make me so happy!

      Delete
  3. What beautiful sentiments in your poem!

    ReplyDelete