Thursday, March 30, 2017

Home Inspection

Today, we had our home inspection for foster care.

I think it went pretty well. We passed off everything on the safety checklist. In fact, we may have gone a little overboard. I think the inspector commented a few times that our home "was the safest she'd ever seen," or something along those lines. She seemed pretty impressed with how in-depth we had been about things.

Honestly, both Grig and I were worried that we were going to miss a bunch of stuff, but I guess we did alright.

She was pretty impressed with how well-trained our dogs were too, especially after they'd calmed down. That pleased me. I really appreciate when people notice that. We've put a lot of work into training our dogs. She was especially surprised when I just pointed at the bed and they went and laid down without me saying anything.

After the home tour, we sat down and had an interview for a while. First she interviewed me, and while we were talking, Grig came home from work. It ended up going from 2-6. She was really pleasant and easy to talk to, and I feel like things went really well.

Kevin was his typical amazing self. He was a bit loud and showed off a bit, but he also was pretty cheerful during most of it. We talked a bit about him and what he's like around other kids.

My favorite part of the entire day was Kevin. At one point, we were talking, and suddenly Kevin spoke up.

"Excuse me," he said, with just a touch of snark.

"Yes, Kevin?" the inspector replied.

"I thought you were going to bring us a baby?" Kevin demanded/asked.

We all burst out laughing. The inspector quickly explained that she was there to get to know us so that we could be matched up with the perfect children, and Kevin seemed satisfied with that response. She told us that she gets asked that question a lot, which surprised me, because I certainly hadn't been expecting that to come out of Kevin's mouth.

I loved it.

She's going to talk things over with her supervisor and submit her paperwork, and within the next 2-3 weeks (it usually is less than 2, but next week is Spring Break, so she said she may not be able to work on it next week) we should be qualified to be foster parents!

That's pretty exciting.

So, now it's a waiting game again. Baring any unforeseen complications, we hopefully will be having some more children join us in our home soon. We're excited to start helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment