Monday, March 6, 2017

Anniversary Trip 2017

So, last Thursday night (on the 2nd) we left after Grig got home from work and drove to Idaho. On the way, we nearly hit a deer. A doe was crossing the road, and I slowed down, expecting her to keep going. Instead, she stopped in the middle of the road. I had to brake pretty quickly to avoid her. She remained standing until we were almost stopped right in front of her before she turned around and rejoined a few other deer on the side of the road.

Then we met Mom and Dad at a store where I used to work. We handed Kevin off to them, and then we turned around and went back to stay at a themed hotel.

We found it just fine, but it wasn’t what I was expecting. The themed hotel near where we live has a very artsy exterior and is in a pretty nice neighborhood. This one was in a very old-looking building crammed between other ghetto-like shopfronts. I wasn’t very impressed with the outside, especially for the cost. There was also no parking, but we received a promise that we wouldn’t be ticketed.

The inside was classier, and our bedroom was nice. We picked the Alaska room (mostly because it was the least expensive), but it had everything that we wanted. The jetted tub was awesome, the bed was super-comfy, and the television was huge.

We relaxed and watched some movies that night.

The next morning, we got up just in time for them to deliver our breakfast at the door. That was pretty awesome. Then, we hung out and watched more television until about 1:00 p.m. At that point, we went out walking and found a museum just down the street. They had a Roman display, so Grig and I decided to check it out. It turned out to be more interesting that I was expecting. I especially liked the weapons. I got some fun ideas for my book. I also learned that they were pretty inventive. I didn’t realize how many things we use today that originally were created in Rome.

They also had a Roman game you could play, and one of the volunteers offered to show me how to play it. I thought he was just going to explain the rules, but he ended up playing a whole round against me. It was kind of a funny match because he didn’t tell me half of the rules until we were half-way through. If I had known you could make the same three of a kind over and over, I would have probably made some different choices at the beginning. I lost, but there were a few times that I surprised him.

Grig was going to play it with me next, but a couple other people came up and started playing before we could, so we went to lunch at a Thai restaurant instead. The food was good, but expensive.

Afterward, we returned to the hotel and spent the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying each other’s company.

Saturday, we got up, packed, and checked out of our hotel by 11 a.m. Then we went to Barnes and Nobles and bought some books. Afterward, we drove to the river and walked and played along the edge. We gradually made our way to Walmart, got a few more items we needed, and then walked back. We grabbed some lunch, and watched a video in the car while we ate.

For our last activity, we went to an Army Surplus store, which was awesome. We had a really good time, and I haven’t felt so relaxed in a while. We got a little tired of junk food, but it was really nice to have a vacation and spend one-on-one time with my husband.

I think I laughed more during the last few days than I have in months. I really love Grig. He completes me and makes me feel like I am loved. He is an incredibly supportive husband and a loving father. Kevin loves his daddy.

We headed back to my parents' house and found Kevin over at my sister's house. He was pretty excited to see us. We then watched all of the cousins that were there while my sister and her husband went on a date and then to Stake Conference. We showed the kids Storks and Over the Hedge. They also wanted to play Plants vs Zombies on Grig’s computer. After the adults came back, we put Kevin to bed and watched Doctor Strange, the new Marvel movie. I liked it. It was a fun, psychedelic experience.

On Sunday, we attended Stake Conference for the second week in a row, but Kevin did really well with his cousins there. Last week we had stake conference in our ward and Grig sang in the choir. After the meeting ended, I looked down to put some toys away, and when I looked up, Kevin was gone. We were in the primary room, and he had completely disappeared. It was pretty scary. I finally found him with his father. He had left me, and charged across the whole church and found his dad at the front of the Sacrament room. I was happy he was safe, but we had a good talk about not running away from me.

After Sacrament we mostly hung out and talked with everyone while Kevin played with his cousins. We had a great time, and left about 6:00. The roads were great for the first hour and a half, and then a heavy snow storm came out of nowhere. It was fine for a while, and then it became very hard to see the roads. It was a scary drive for the next hour and a half, but with a lot of prayer, we made it home safely.

I'm really glad we were able to go. Sometimes you just need to take a vacation.

Oh, and an update with the foster care thing. We just got word that our background checks have cleared. We just had to fix one screen window (which we're going to do tomorrow) and then we should be scheduling a home inspection.

Life is about to get really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment