Thursday, October 30, 2014

Preparing for NaNoWriMo

Next month is National Novel Writing Month, or as called by those who participate, NaNoWriMo.

Last year, I attempted it, and I just barely didn't get the required number of words written. This year, I'm hoping for a different story.

When I write, I have an idea for a story in my head, but I'm pretty vague on the actual details. I usually have the main character created, and a few major events.

However, this time, I'm trying something different. I've been creating characters beforehand, and story-lining to make sure I know where my story is going. It's been rather enjoyable, and it's been helping me feel ready to write a novel for real this time.

I've noticed that one of my greatest weaknesses when I write is having too much focus on the main character. So much so, that my other characters tend to be two-dimensional. As I've matured a bit, I've realized that books I really enjoy reading have a plethora of characters that I enjoy. I've been working on that lately, and it has really changed my writing. I'm starting to enjoy writing about more than one person. I've also been learning that stories, even more than plot, are about people. The growing, changing, and trials that people go through really are what making the story interesting. A good plot is also important, but if everyone is flat and boring, the plot can't save the story.

 I plan to write between 4-7 in the morning and during nap times. The goal is to write 50,000 words in a month. Divide that by 30, and you have about 1,666 words you need to write a day. I don't like to write on Sundays, so subtract 5 days. Thus, my goal is 2,000. Totally doable. Especially is I have three hours a day. I type fast and I have the story lined out.

I'm going to do it this year!

Now, for a funny Kevin story.

The other morning, Kevin woke up. He kept saying the same thing over and over, and to my surprise, I understood what he was saying.

"Nana," he said.

"Oh," I realized, "you want a banana?"

He nodded his head enthusiastically and repeated, "Nana."

"We don't have any bananas," I told him. "How about an apple instead?"

He thought about it, and then enthusiastically said, "Apple!"

It is weird when you can start understanding your kids. Suddenly, a whole new side of the personality to revealed.

Also, Kevin has started trying to stare us down when he's grumpy. If you tell him no, he'll put his arms down at his side, and give you a hard glare. It's adorable. However, every time I try and grab the camera, he instantly drops it and says, "Cheese!" and gives the cheesiest grin you've ever seen. This is one of my attempts to get his glare:


His dad tried to help me out. 

No success.

Just for kicks, here's a picture of Arkhon and me.

He sure is growing, and my hair is messy. ;)

Finally, a beautiful picture of our old girl, Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment