Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Playing Catch-up

Wow, I've done really badly at blogging this last week. I've missed Friday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Really, I was just being selfish.

Grig was home for a three-day weekend, and I really wanted to spend time with him. That led to distractions and to me not remembering to blog until really late at night.

Ah well. We had a good time.
Friday we had Arkhon's first veterinary appointment. He did really well. I used to work for our vet, and she's an At Your Home veterinarian, so she came over to our apartment. He got a couple treats while she gave him shots, and he didn't even notice when we was poked. She said he looks great. She gave us some training tips (which we really appreciated) on how to help Arkhon and Kevin be kinder to each other.

They love each other a little too much.

The news on Dakota's end wasn't so good. We've suspected that she has had breast cancer for a little while. The vet confirmed it. Dakota's still happy and has a good appetite, so we'll keep her around for a while yet. I think she'll let us know when she's ready to go. She is fourteen, after all. That is partly why we got Arkhon though. We wanted her to help us train him while she is still around.

I'll have to talk about my feelings on this tomorrow maybe.

She got a shot too. They both did really well.

Saturday, was the General Women's Meeting for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was a really good meeting, and I especially enjoyed Elder Uchtdorf's talk. If you didn't get to watch it, there is a link here to the meeting. I recommend the entire thing. It was very uplifting. Grig ended up watching Kevin and my friend's kids so we could go. I think he got a little overwhelmed with three kids and a puppy. He was happy when we got back.

He did a great job. We were pretty grateful that we were able to attend.

Sunday we had church, and then ended up baby-sitting again for my friend. We had a good time.

Monday, we went fishing with my grandpa. We invited him to go with us, and we told him to pick the place.

He picked a great place! At first, we had a little trouble getting tangled up in a big wire that hung over the river, but the water was boiling with fish. My grandpa couldn't put his pole in without pulling one out. Grig was also pretty successful, with some pretty good sized fish on his line. I kept getting nibbles, but nothing would latch on. Finally, at the very end, I caught a fish too!

We ended up catching our limit! That hasn't happened to us in a long time. We caught some beautiful trout. I'm excited to eat them.

Kevin stayed with my grandma since it was a little wet and cold, but he was sure excited to see the fish when we got back. He loves fish.



Things have taken a turn for fall this week.

The last 3-4 weeks have been really warm. We took down our air-conditioning because it was getting cooler right after I came back from Idaho. Then, the days went back up to 80-90. We kind of regretted taking the air-conditioning down.

However, it's been raining the last four days or so. Our bedroom was pretty cold last night, and we ended up enjoying cuddling under the covers.

Arkhon slept 7 hours last night without an accident in his kennel. He might have been able to go longer, but I was worried about pushing it to far, so Grig took him out when he woke up.

He's doing pretty well with the kennel. Occasionally he gets bored with it. I guess we need to get him a Kong or something.

He and Dakota like each other quite a bit, though if he gets too energetic, she'll tell him (rather forcefully) to calm down. His training is going well, and the accidents are getting fewer and further between. Which is great!

He's going to be a great dog for a great kid. We've talked about how this will be Kevin's dog. Hopefully he'll live until Kevin is 14 or 15. We're looking forward to the next few years, but we're also trying to appreciate the moments now.

The moments now are pretty great too.

No comments:

Post a Comment