Friday, February 14, 2014

Car is in the Shop and Other Random Things

Well, today is a momentous day for our family. Earlier this week, we received our federal tax return and we immediately called the repair shop and tried to schedule an appointment. We wanted to take the car in on Thursday so hopefully it would be done before the weekend. However, their first opening was today, so we woke up relatively early (okay, late compared to normal) and took the car in.

My kind grandparents were nice enough to follow us in their car, and drive us back home afterward. We are excited to have all of this over with. There have already been some remarkable miracles that we've experienced, but I don't want to count my blessings before they've occurred, so I'm going to tell you about everything after it's over.

Not having a car is really inconvenient, but luckily we have a great bus system where we live, and it is fairly easy to get around, if a little time-consuming.

I am going to give the dog a bath today. She's starting to be a little stinky.

Also, I wanted to let you know that currently, my goals are going great. I had to adjust a few to more realistic levels, but I've been feeling really good about how things are going.

This week, Kevin and I have started dancing for exercise. I'm kind of super self-conscious about how I look when I exercise, so I prefer to do it in the privacy of my home. Dancing around while carrying a baby is pretty good exercise though. My thighs are sore today. That must mean that I'm actually working out. When Kevin gets bored of dancing to Tangled music, I'll do leg-lifts with him on my legs, or we'll play some indoor soccer. Either way we're moving around.

My writing has been going excellent as well. I adjusted my goal from five pages a day to 1/2 an hour a day. I'm not accomplishing five pages, but I'm getting in a little writing at a time. That is progress, no matter how small. I'm really liking where my story is headed right now. It keeps surprising me.

How can your own story surprise you? Well, sometimes, I meet characters and I realize, "Wow, you're kind of a jerk!" or "Huh, you're really interesting." I basically know where the story is headed, it's a rewrite after all, but it is morphing into a completely different creature, even while the basic story line stays the same.

Scripture reading is going great, and also my no technology time. I have changed that to be two hours in the morning where the computer CAN NOT be on. It's not that we are on the computer the rest of the day, it is simply for those two hours, we cannot even go near it. It's been great, actually. I get a lot more done, and Kevin and I have had more time to play. I really like it, and think it is going to be a mainstay of my day's activities from now on. Sometimes it's good to remember what really matters, and that I am stronger than my urge to constantly be plugged in.

Life is pretty good right now!

1 comment:

  1. I’m sorry for the car mishaps, Emma. I know how it feels to wait for your car to be fixed, and I’m glad you have a convenient transportation as an alternative. I’m glad to read that your car is already fixed, by the way. I hope it won’t give you some troubles in the next days. How are you now? :)

    Ron Campbell

    ReplyDelete