Wednesday, November 5, 2014

I Hate Daylight Savings

This blog is written after a crazy couple of mornings from a mother of a toddler and 16 week puppy.

Previous to this week, we were on a pretty good schedule. We went to bed around 8:30 p.m. and woke up at 7:30. The puppy was holding his bladder all night long, and at 7:30 a.m., I was more than happy to take him out when he woke up.

However, ever since daylight savings, we've had a really hard time.

Kevin starts getting tired around 8:30 p.m., which isn't so bad, since Grig has to wake up at 3:00 a.m. now. Arkhon still wants to go use the bathroom at  6:30 in the morning, which I am not as happy about. Yesterday I tried to make him wait for twenty minutes and he had an accident in his kennel for the first time. So, he gets to go out when he needs to now. I felt pretty bad about that.

Kevin is waking up anywhere from 6-6:45. It is really hard to have him be awake that early. I'm usually trying to get things done (or trying to sleep), and he won't go back to sleep. I've just been letting him stay up, but then he isn't going to bed any earlier, so it's just making him grumpy.
And usually he's so happy!

These things collectively have made me a little bit grumpy in the mornings as well.

When I was younger, I loved fall daylight savings. I really enjoyed sleeping in an hour. It was fairly easy to adjust to the new schedule, and I didn't know why people had such a problem with it.

Now that I have a child and a puppy though, I am realizing that they don't understand why we are suddenly wanting them to sleep in an hour later or go to bed an hour sooner. Schedules are important to children and puppies, and they don't always adjust very well.

I understand their confusion and I sympathize. That doesn't change the fact that time HAS changed and I have to find some way to help them deal with it.

Daylight savings is really annoying. It makes me want to move to Arizona where they don't have it.

I'm sure eventually my two boys will adjust, but I know it's going to take a little while.

On the plus side, Kevin slept in his own bed from 9:30 last night until 5:00 this morning. That's pretty incredible. If only I could keep from waking up every two or three hours, I might actually get some decent sleep.

If anyone has any suggestions for helping kids adjust to daylight savings, I would be happy to hear them. We're struggling a bit right now. I know it's temporary, but that doesn't make it less difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment