Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Gratitude Week 2014: Being Self-sufficient

Today, I'm very grateful for my husband's job that enables us to be self-sufficient.

At one point in my life, I was going to college in a large city and I didn't own a car. I had a scholarship, but it didn't cover everything, so my grandparents helped me out. If I needed to go somewhere, I either had to take the city bus system, or I had to bum a ride from someone else.

For some reason, that was really difficult for me. I hated asking people to do things for me, and I hated the fact that my grandparents were paying for my schooling, and I would probably never be able to pay them back. It was hard to be dependent on others.

At this point in our lives, we don't have everything we want. Half the time when we go to the store, we say, "When we have money, we'll buy that." Sometimes, it is difficult to remember how blessed we are that we have what we NEED.

I am grateful for our apartment, even if it does have cockroaches.

I am grateful for our heat that keeps our apartment nice and toasty in the winter.

I'm grateful that we can feed ourselves, our two dogs, and our snake. Food is wonderful, and we've been bountifully blessed with it.



I'm grateful that we have a car that has very few problems and allows us to get to where we need to go.

I'm grateful I have super-supportive family members. Part of the reason we can be self-sufficient is because they often help us out. I'm learning that even when you are independent, the service of others can make all the difference in those lean times.

I'm grateful for the little bit of extra money we have so occasionally we can have WANTS as well.

I'm grateful that we have enough money that occasionally we can spend it on other people and do nice things for them.

I'm grateful that we have all of the necessities of life met, so that we have time to take care of spiritual matters.

I am grateful that we are alive, and healthy (though Kevin has a bit of a cold today).

No comments:

Post a Comment