Tuesday, August 18, 2015

What Happened to the Cockroaches

I don't know if anyone is curious about this, but I thought I'd give you an update anyway.

While we were staying at our previous apartment, we had a bit of a bug problem. Cockroaches became way too frequent visitors at our home and especially in our microwave. We'd see small ones crawling inside of the clock display screen, and it was pretty disgusting.

When we bought our home and moved, we tried our very best not to bring the little critters with us. We went so far as to leave our microwave and toaster at the apartment and we got new ones to replace them.

Once all of our items were in the moving van, we bugbombed the van and left it closed tightly for a couple of days. (We moved over a weekend, and since we didn't want to work on Sunday, it was able to stay closed all of Sunday as well.) Before we left, we opened the back and let it air out for a while.

Then, when I unpacked, I carefully would bring one box into the kitchen at a time, unpack it, examine each item, and then take the empty box back out to the garage where it was pretty cold. (We did move in February, after all.)

I haven't said anything before now, because I was afraid that if I said anything, the next day I would wake up to find my kitchen crawling with cockroaches. I have had nightmares for the last few months and I kept dreaming that I woke up to find one in my kitchen.

However, after six months in our home, I feel that I can finally say: WE DON'T HAVE COCKROACHES ANYMORE!


I know that was a miracle. Everyone I've talked to says that it is nearly impossible not to pack them up with you. I found one dead baby one when I was unpacking, but I didn't even see any dead adults.

I am so grateful to not have cockroaches at my house anymore.

I am grateful that we were able to leave our boxes in such a cold place. I feel like that gave me peace of mind, if nothing else. Our garage gets pretty cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

I don't know if any of you prayed that we'd move without bringing cockroaches, but if you did, thank you. I was definitely praying for it. I think we were inspired to leave the microwave and the toaster. I was going to bring the toaster, but every time I went to get it, I got sidetracked and eventually just forgot about it.

I will not miss our uninvited guests.

I am super grateful they're gone and that they didn't hitch a ride to our new house.

No comments:

Post a Comment