Friday, August 15, 2014

Once Upon a Reunion

From the 1st to the 4th of August, we had a family reunion with my dad's side of the family.

The theme was Once Upon a Time, and we had a lot of really fun activities.

We had the reunion at Bear Lake, and aside from the fact that the owners sat on their garage porch and watched us the whole time, we had a great time!

The first night, we just ate dinner and talked to people. Kevin had a great time playing on the playground with his cousins. They also had swords made out of water noodles and PVC pipes. Kevin really enjoyed those the whole reunion. We also went and got one of their famous raspberry shakes. They were pretty good, but I'm not a big fan of the seeds.

Saturday, we went to Bear Lake and swam. My siblings had pooled their funds together to rent a jet ski, so we took turns riding it onto the lake. It was a little bit scary (the waves were super choppy) and it was my first time driving one, so it took a little while to get used to. One of the strangest things was when I released the gas, the jet ski instantly dropped down to a stop. That took some getting used to.

Kevin swam with us for a while, but then he got cold, so he just wanted to play on the beach. There were these shallow pools of water on the beach, and Kevin loved to lay in them belly-down and splash in the water. He was super cute. The water was much warmer in the pools as well. We stopped to eat lunch while we played, and Kevin didn't want to get out of the water to eat. A couple of times, he would have a cheetoh in his hands, and he would slide into the water, soaking his cheetoh in the filthy, seagull poop water, and then eat it. That was pretty gross.

At least our kid has a great immune system.

We also spent some time working on a sand castle. It turned out pretty good!

After we finished swimming we headed home. We all got a little sunburned, but we had applied a lot of sunscreen, so it wasn't too bad. That night we jousted. We stood on shaky stumps and tried to push each other off of them with extra long water noodles. That was really fun. I won some, and lost some.

The next day we went to church and then came back and had a family meeting where we talked about family history and played a game of cousin jeopardy. It was pretty fun. Then our grandma talked to us about the importance of staying united as a family and staying faithful to the Lord.

We spent the rest of the day working on stop-motion videos, writing letters to missionaries, talking, and playing games. Grig really enjoyed capture-the-flag that they played after dark. I had eaten too much dinner, and had no desire to run. I talked to my siblings and cousins instead.

As part of the festivities, we had been asked to write the story of how we met in fairy-tale form. I'll have to post our story, because we were quite proud of how our story turned out.

The next day we cleaned up and then drove home.

It was a fantastic reunion.

(I'm going to post this now, and add more pictures later when I have more time. I've got to go to work now.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment