Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Foot and the Finger: A Tragic Story

I'm pretty bright.  I've never had a problem with school work, and I feel like I'm a creative person.  So, why is it that I'm often so lacking in common sense?

Last week, Grig was at work.  He is a 'fitter,' which means he places parts for welders, who then weld those pieces together.  He was cleaning up at work, with only ten minutes left to go.  He had been working with long pieces of steel called uprights that have a sharp end to them.  They are machine sharpened and cut, which means they are really sharp.  He had gloves on, and he wasn't paying too much attention and he pushed a bench underneath a fixture that one upright was attached to.  As he did so, his pointer finger went along the edge of the upright.  The upright sheared through the glove and into the knuckle of his finger.  It began to bleed badly.  However, because he was wearing gloves and the upright had been blunted a bit, the injury wasn't as severe as it could have been.  They got him patched up, and sent him home.

By Friday (yesterday) the injury was looking great.  It was closing up well, and it was no longer seeping fluid. Grig was quite happy with how well it was healing. We had a pleasant evening Friday night, and while Grig was getting ready for bed, I was showing Kevin how I could do headstands.  Kevin was quite impressed, though he came crawling at high speeds straight for my head and knocked me over.

I was impressed with myself as well, so when Grigg came out of the bathroom, I decided to show him my skill with a headstand.  I hadn't been able to do it since before I was pregnant.  So, Grig and Kevin sat on the bed, and in my hurry to do a headstand, it turned into a somersault. My legs went flying toward the bed, and Grig let out a loud cry.  "Jeez, Hun!"

My flailing heel had struck him right on his finger.  An instant later, he was in the bathroom. I had reopened his wound and it was bleeding profusely.  I ran quickly to get a paper towel so that Grig could apply pressure to his finger.  I also grabbed iodine and bandages.  Soon, the bleeding stopped, we disinfected, and reapplied dressing.  It was very exciting, and I felt really bad.

Unfortunately, I also have an unusual ability.  Most people say things like, "You know, in 220 years this will seem really funny...."  I say, "You know, this is kind of funny now...."  I am able to see the humor in a bad situation while I'm still in the middle of it.  Usually, I try to keep these thoughts to myself because most people don't like to hear how funny something is when they're in a lot of pain.

However, the thought of my epic failure and the flailing feet with their precise impact now makes me smile a bit.  At least it makes a good story.

On a further note:  WE ARE POSTING A NEW VIDEO TODAY!  It's not the 1st, but since the 1st is tomorrow, and tomorrow is Sunday, we decided to post tonight. It's a trailer for a (fake) movie coming out in Winter of 2013 called When the Vacuums Came.  It might possibly be our best video yet.  It's based off the fact that Kevin isn't scared of anything...except vacuums.  I'll post a link on the blog with it later at 7:00 p.m. MST.  Look forward to it, it will probably make you laugh.

Also, Kevin is walking!  He has gone from making clumsy steps to deliberately walking from place to place.  He still falls frequently, but sometimes he catches himself and keeps going.  He's awesome!



5 comments:

  1. I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this missed our weekly Skype agenda... glad all is well. Fyi, if a cut goes to the bone, that is an invitation to meet your friends who work at the ER. And if you look into the gaping wound and see what appears to be a hole in the center-- that means it has cut through all the layers of skin and is also an invitation to make new friends at the ER. Just for future reference. Yes, when Grig was little we were on first-name basis with the guys in the ER... they even gave the environs kid-friendly names, like Mr. Sun (the op room light) and Mr. Hat (for the sterile field applied to the head before suturing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Yeah, the cut is looking great. It just went through a few layers of skin. We superglued it last night after a thorough cleaning, just to make sure it heals small. I like your name, Grigsma! Thus far, no signs of infection.

      Delete
  3. "...in 220 years this will seem really funny..." Boy, that's a long time to wait for the humor to kick in. ;)

    ReplyDelete